Monday, February 4, 2013

Your Typical Design? I Don't Think So!

Before I get into this awesome design piece I have for you today, I wanted to explain a little bit about what interior design is and what us designers do. Now, don't feel bad if you are like a lot of the people who shrug off the ID major as just painting and finding soft carpets. This assumption is made quite often and is lightyears from the truth. Interior designers are like artists and engineers combined into one fabulously fantastic person with impeccable taste (I may be describing myself? hmmmm....). I recently came across a blog called Design Matters which highlights 10 reasons designers are important. Take the time to read this article and any other part of the blog as it is A+ awesome.

My favorite on the list is number 2, which is paraphrased as....
"Interior designers work improves the lives of others. They design for the homebody and the workerbee, in addition to the aged, handicapped, and infirm. Whether they add light to a dark interior or design a beautiful and healthy working space, they make a difference in the lives of others". 

Either way, I want you as a reader to appreciate the work of an interior designer, as well as an interior design student. If you are friends with somebody in an interior design program, you know exactly how much they are available during the school year. I swear I saw my roommates maybe 1 hour out of the week the year I entered into the design program.

All in all, in order to appreciate design a little more, I think it helps to appreciate the worker behind the magic in the space.. imagine the man hours and all-nighters and the pounds of coffee it takes to accomplish what you may first glance at as a simple project...

Now, that is all for my rant on how awesome us aspiring interior designers are:) Now onto the stuff that I promised would knock your toe socks right off!

Okay, so today as I was researching wonderful designs with my chai tea at hand, I came across this wicked coffee shop... done expertly by nemaworkshop, a firm located in New York City. (If you have the chance, look at the rest of their projects, it was hard to choose just one)!


This coffee shop, called D'espresso is a landmark in itself (awesome website too). The concept of this design, according to nemaworkshop, was to take the ordinary and turn it on its side.Since this coffee shop is located close to the New York Public Library in Bryant park, this design is genius. This project features tiles on the floor, wall, and ceiling with sepia-toned photographs of books printed on the tiles. Turn your head to the right and look at it as if the herringbone patterned wood on the left wall was actually the floor... pretty innovative huh? It in a way, it reminds me of Alice and Wonderland and when she is in the room where she shrinks... or gets bigger... not sure which one it is but you get the point! This design makes your imagination wander and this coffee shop unforgettable. 


If you are interested in a certain field of design and are searching for some awesome examples, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment